Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Dude, where's my toilet?

When one is traveling or living in Africa, or elsewhere for that matter, they come to expect that the old GI track will be a little off from time to time. I had managed to avoid any signs of ill health up to this point, but it appears that something has made its way into my system. Yesterday morning I woke up a bit nauseous and sure enough my head was soon in the toilet. This morning it was the same. I am incredibly fatigued, have no appetite, and feel lousy overall. My work colleagues are encouraging the old malaria test, but the symptoms are more reminiscent of the giardia bug I had in Rwanda last year (which by the way lasted SEVERAL weeks). And besides, aren’t my anti-malarial drugs that I take every morning supposed to PREVENT malaria?

Despite feeling ill, I succeeded in my quest for an apartment; however I think I was perhaps overly anxious. After many delays and annoyances, the landlord hack sawed the lock off the apartment and let me in last night. The electricity was out. There is no furniture, save for my new foam mattress. I had managed to get myself a flashlight just a few hours earlier and was later thankful as it was one long, dark night in my concrete box. Now while I maintain that I am low maintenance, I have never claimed to be a real “roughing it” kind of gal. The only camping I have undertaken is the kind where you drive up to a little square plot, put up your tent and pull out the cooler. So I do have some minimum standards, and one of those being a TOILET. I felt my heart sink as I flashed a light into the bathroom, only to notice the hole in the ground. I didn’t want to admit this, but I got in the habit of planning my day around being able to use my nice Hotel Roma toilet – my horrible knees are my scapegoat. But I suppose when in Africa…So last night I hung out with my flashlight, on my mattress, eating just bananas and a few cookies for dinner.

So the place is empty. No toilet (in case you didn’t catch that), no stove, no counters or anything of the sort. A group of demobilized former LRA rebels are actually welding me a bed as we speak (at a price, of course). Catherine, of GWENET, is super generous and will loan me a table and some chairs, as buying furniture in Gulu is impressively expensive and unnecessary given the short period of time I will be residing here. This morning I finally figured out that everybody has electricity but me. I flipped some of the circuit switches, which resulted in a fizzing sound, followed by a flood of smoke and sparks - Oopsies! So I decided to call the landlord and am waiting as we speak for the electrician to show up and do his work (he was supposed to be there at 3 and it is now approaching 5, so it’s a good thing I didn’t leave work). I am not holding my breath and anticipate at least a few more nights in the dark on the ground. Perhaps I should have been a little more patient and remained in the hotel until everything was figured out. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Happy Birthday Caroline!

5 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Hopefully it will not be a long wait for the electricity to be fixed, but it sounds like maybe the dark is better ? You are one incredible gal. I am sure that you have the admiration of all around you, not to mention all of us who have access to the blog. I am so happy that you plan to return "home" for the holidays. That will give you something to look forward to. Love & Love, Gram

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kelly, Hello there. Yes, it's me! Hope you are feeling a little better, although it looks like you're not 100% from your latest email. The only related experience I have is visiting the shanty towns of Juarez Mexico back in college. Lucky for me, I was working at the homeless shelter in town so I didn't have to deal with no toilet, no electricity, no running water...doh. Keep the faith and feel better. Now, let me figure out this blogger thing so I don't have to post "anonymous"!
    Love, Paul Quirk

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you!
    [url=http://lgevzalx.com/bxne/nehg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qngscrhb.com/goyn/ovcw.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you!
    http://lgevzalx.com/bxne/nehg.html | http://fbuwqbli.com/uhnv/bjta.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home