Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Disaster, also known as Kelly

Bet you thought I was gone, huh? Good to see/hear that people are still out there paying attention, though I admit it is embarrassing now that more of my Uganda friends are aware of what I am writing.

So about a week ago, after a very bittersweet goodbye that involved blindfolds and drives through Kampala, I boarded my plane for London. Oh, and I caused a little scene at the airport when I went through security with a walking stick Lina had given me. The security people hounded me about the stick, asking if I knew what was in it. My mind immediately flashes to those teeny bopper movies where the American teenagers are imprisoned in Thailand for unknowingly smuggling drugs out of the country. I plead ignorance, explaining that the stick was a gift. The guard proceeds to pull the handle off the stick, and to my astonishment and his amusement, emerges a HUGE knife! And I was going to carry it on!

Many of you out there are aware of my love-hate affair with my knees, namely that they like to leave my sockets, namely when dancing is involved. Well, in lovely London, while casually ascending some stairs, I lost a knee again. Try as I might to work the whole ignore-it-and-it-will-go-away routine, I ended up taking myself to a London ER. While I appreciate the free health care and set of crutches that the good old United Kingdom afforded me, I did not require the digression from a cocky young doctor about the pitfalls of American medicine – especially as I later found out he misdiagnosed me. Whatcha gonna do? At the very least, crutches equals disability discount at the theater and special airplane boarding privileges…

Fast forward. London was fabulous, stairs aside, and I even had a quick trip to Geneva, which was equally wonderful after I managed to forget my passport and my flight. Is this all an allergy to the Western World? I arrived back in Colorado just in time for Blizzard 2005 (no, not the frozen treats from Dairy Queen). I love it.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelly I wanted to thank you for all your first hand accounts of what you saw in Northern Uganda. It is very rare we in america hear about africa. Your posts and pictures were informative and thought provoking. Thank you again for sharing your experiences.

    Jared

     

Post a Comment

<< Home