Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

I'm still here, believe it or not

I am not doing a very good job of keeping up the site these days. My Lira life and work continue to keep me busy, and to be frank, I've lost my inspiration to write! The novelty continues to fade.

But I am doing great. I had a few days on the Kenyan coast last weekend, so no complaints - well aside from a blistering burn despite SPF 30. Just two days ago I moved into the guesthouse from the hotel with my colleagues, which is a tremendous improvement to our lives. Other news: I’ve learned to carry a jerry can of water on my head (ok, it was a small one and I still had to use my hands) and we’ve got volleyball (with me as the “coach”) and football (soccer) teams. It appears that I’ve also become a celebrity of sorts in Ogur IDP camp. A man wears my business card pinned to a plastic bag to his shirt. The bag is supposed to protect the card from the rain. The man comes running anytime he sees a vehicle from our organization, but I have yet to return. Yesterday my colleagues delivered a letter on his behalf, where he requested, as my best friend, that I get on the radio to send my greetings to him so that his friends could all hear.

So I am wrapping up my contract here before the end of the month. I am trying not to think about having to leave Uganda yet again. Even stranger that, after a brief Europe/Colorado interlude, I will be sent to Chad to work with Darfur refugees along the Sudan-Chad border.

So that is just a bit of me for now. We shall see what I can come up with before leaving here again.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    glad to hear all is well and hope your upcoming trip to Darfur is a safe one

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi kelly

    happy to hear you are still in uganda. sorry we never hooked up while i was there, and will miss the opportunity again if you are off to chad. please keep in touch.

    erin baines

     
  • At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good design!
    [url=http://gjplxphk.com/rndt/knfi.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://xwnayxbp.com/hvls/hbuv.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work!
    My homepage | Please visit

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    http://gjplxphk.com/rndt/knfi.html | http://njhmehti.com/qosx/tkmf.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home