Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

It all goes down at the Acholi Inn

Gulu is buzzing this week, with a ceasefire called by the government and rumors of impending peace talks between the government and the LRA to be held in Canada, Norway, or some other peace-loving country. The most posh hotel (by Gulu standards), the Acholi Inn, appears to be where both decisions and rumors are made between personnel of the United Nations, diplomats, civil servants, and other interested parties. Last night, as I was sitting with colleagues/friends who are working on the conflict, we watched as various individuals moved among the groups, whispering, pointing, receiving cell phone calls...I was almost starstruck when I was informed that even Betty Bigombe was in the mix. Bigombe is THE only individual who has had any success in negotiating for peace between the government and the LRA. She maintains the trust of both sides and moves fluidly from the State House to the bush. She was almost successful in the early 1990s but was undermined by the government and the war intensified with impunity. Bigombe is now a consultant in DC, but she is back here to hopefully play the critical role that only she can.

I am personally not so optimistic, as I cannot pinpoint motivations on either side for ending a conflict that is so clearly beneficial to both sides. I will try to give a better update as events unfold.

Otherwise, I shall be heading to Kampala on Friday to stay with my friend Steffi who has a nice little pool. I am sorry if I appear to have a superficial fixation on pools, but it is officially dry season and is hotter than hell!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home