Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Spring Break 2005: Wazungu Women Gone Wild

LAKE NABUGABO

Day One:
We (three German Steffis plus me) road-trip across the equator, past Masaka, and down the road to Lake Nabugabo. No electricity, not much water coming out of the faucets, and what was coming out was brown. Did some swimming, bird and monkey-watching.
I experienced my first German campfire, which means we roasted sausages and had David Hasselhoff sing-alongs. I kid you not.

Day Two:
Rain, drizzle, fog, sprinkle, rain, drizzle, sprinkle, rain, fog, drizzle. That was the day. Just me and the three German Steffis, dressed head to toe, our swimsuits left behind, starring out at the lake with our heads in our hands.
By the time the sun is setting, Steffi #1 decides that it is high time I learn to drive a manual, as my immediate family has forsaken me in this endeavor. That took all of 10 minutes. Ok, and I was only able to get into second gear, considering my test course was a campsite. Open another bottle of wine.

Day Three, Easter Sunday:
Wake up to rain, drizzle, fog. Decide we just don’t want another 24 hours of this – not to mention that none of us have showered (aside from swimming in the lake). Back in the car after Steffi #1 hides a few small chocolates for us to find (really, this is how bored we were getting – and did I even mention how many sing-alongs we had? Steffi #1 and I took to creating many renditions of the Ugandan national anthem). So back across the equator to Kampala where the sun is amazingly brilliant. We enjoy the pool before heading to a very Lebanese Easter dinner. You just have to go away to appreciate home?

Tomorrow it is back up the road to Gulu and then flying over to Kitgum on Wednesday. This is the official last trip through the north. I am now in the acknowledgement phase, but not quite acceptance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home