Northern Uganda

This started as the on-line journal of Africa Anonymous while she was an Graduate Fellow researching and working in Northern Uganda. You gotta be good. You gotta be strong. You gotta be 2,000 places at once.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Not so novel

Just a quick note before the weekend:

Despite being in a new town in Uganda I am finding that the novelty of African life has subsided. I fail to take notice of those details that were once so definitive. Therefore I am admitedly lacking in quality blog posting substance. It is strange how a small country in the middle of another continent can somehow become a home, where the customs and life are nearly as familiar to me as that in my own homeland.

I am still struggling through hotel life. Remember, there is no Sheraton or Radisson Hotel going on here - I stay in a basic, local hotel, where I am bathing from a bucket of hot water every morning, as I just cannot bare cold, early morning showers. My life is entirely my work right now and the one thing I long for more than anything is a good old Kampala aerobics class. I need to exert some energy! Eat and work. That's it. My most valued time of the day, as I have already shared with a few of you, are those few minutes I have to myself, under the mosquito net, listening to my discman before I pass out from exhaustion.

I am continually coming across old faces and I hope to make it up to Gulu in the near future to check on baby Kelly. I keep getting texts from various people, bragging that they have seen the little angel.

So that is it from me for today. Perhaps after some rest I will be able to find something better to share...

And pictures! I've barely taken any. That might have to wait until I can get to Kampala too, as I don't have the software on this computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home